belltech (ne intel) ICC multiport card sysVr4 drivers?

Derek E. Terveer det at nightowl.MN.ORG
Sat Apr 27 07:05:57 AEST 1991

I have the opportunity to purchase a used belltech (ne intel) ICC
multiport (serial) card (SN 102, Rev 5) for a relatively cheap price
($200).  The thing has drivers for Unix system V R3.2, but not for R4.0,
which i want to move to in a short period of time.  I called intel about
the availability of VR4 drivers for the card and they told me
(paraphrasing [:-)] "tough bannanas -- it is unsupported and there are
no plans to write a new driver for it."  So, does anyone know of the
existence, public domain or no, of a Vr4 driver for this card and how to
get it and how much it costs?  Failing that, would the Vr3.2 driver work
with Vr4?  Failing that (sigh), how difficult would it be to write a
serial i/o driver for this card?

It seems like it is a good deal; 80186 processor on the card, 6 smart
serial ports, RJ-45 jacks on the back, documentation, cables, etc., all
for $200.00.  But, if the card becomes useless the instant I upgrade to
Vr4, there isn't much point in buying the card, is there?

Please send replies to det at nightowl.mn.org as news is aggresively expired
on this system.

Thanks in advance for any information/comments,

derek
det at nightowl.mn.org