wanted: UNIX or clone

Rick Kelly rmk at rmkhome.UUCP
Thu Apr 25 01:41:00 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr22.185539.14876 at ico.isc.com> rcd at ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) writes:
>bill at unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) writes:
>[after some discussion about Coherent]
>> ...Most of the "real"
>> (again, no flames please) Unixes require 4mb minimum...
>
>Interesting data point:  Bill and Lynne Jolitz have said that a minimal 386
>BSD system will run (perhaps a bit slowly, but not unreasonably) in 640 Kb!
>That seems to have been one of the goals.
>
>You can argue whether 386 BSD is "real" in the sense that you can't go out
>and buy one...but it seems fair to call it "real" in a technical sense.

Approximately two years ago I was getting work done with ISC on a 386 box
with two megs of memory.

When I upgrade from Coherent 286 to a VMUNIX, it will be on a box with at
least 8 megs of memory.  16 megs if I can afford it.

What does BSD replace in the AT&T code to allow it to run in 640k?

Rick Kelly	rmk at rmkhome.UUCP	frog!rmkhome!rmk	rmk at frog.UUCP