Writing Driver

Brian Smith brians at eecs.cs.pdx.edu
Sun Apr 14 05:42:42 AEST 1991

I am writing a driver, but I am running into some documentation difficulties.
Specifically, there are functions in the kernel that are not documented, and
that I need.  I originally called ISC for the documentation, but they said
that they no longer distributed the docs.  They only distribute the
"Integrated Software Development Guide," which basically only tells you
how to install a driver.  (The rest is just incomplete tantalizers.)  They
told me to get the AT&T manuals, which I did, but they don't document everything
that ISC (and apparently Esix) have.

The functions I need are, are timing functions and memory management functions.
I got the names of the tenmicrosec() and microloop() functions, and the page.c
source file from an nm of /unix, but nowhere are the functions documented.
They look a lot like what I need, and  I would rather not roll my own, not
because I can't, but because I should not have to.  Who has documentation on
these value added features that we can't use?

Brian