wanted: UNIX or clone

Rick Kelly rmk at rmkhome.UUCP
Thu Apr 18 18:26:00 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr16.173457.14365 at nstar.rn.com> larry at nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) writes:
>rmk at rmkhome.UUCP (Rick Kelly) writes:
>
>>You may be right.  My information came from someone who read about it nine
>>or ten years ago.  But it sure is a helluva lot like UNIX.  After using it
>>on my home system for about six months, I have become quite attached to it.
>>I believe that I would rather run Coherent than other 286 UNIX ports.
>
>why is that?  If you were to get a 386/20 with lets say 8 megs of ram -
>would you stay with coherent?

Well, since MWC is going to come out with a 386, 32 bit, VM kernel soon,
I say; "Why not?".  I've seen what SVR4 does to a 386.  Eight megs isn't
very much when you are talking about SVR4.  I'm running news and hacking
software with two megs of memory.

If I was going to run real SYS V R 4 AT&T UNIX, I would want 24 to 32 megs.

Rick Kelly	rmk at rmkhome.UUCP	frog!rmkhome!rmk	rmk at frog.UUCP