SystemV386 beginner: questions.

2fmmempty at kuhub.cc.ukans.edu 2fmmempty at kuhub.cc.ukans.edu
Tue Apr 16 11:44:52 AEST 1991

I have been using Dos for quite a while, but I have AT&T System V/386 rel 3.2.1
and plan on doing my best to get it up and running this summer.   I had a UNIX
partition a while back, but no time to really devote to learning the system,
and I had no GUI (Well, I had FACE, but it seemed hardly comprehensive as an
interface.)

Anyway, I came up with a few questions about my current software, and software
to look for.

Simul-task : Seemed a little slow in executing dos programs and choked on
anything that wasn't fairly well behaved.  How does it compare with other
versions of vp/ix?  Are there more versatile dos emulators available?  Maybe
something that could even run a real mode windows?  Simultask did not want to
instally it at all.   Not 3.0 or /386 either.

Release 4 :  is there any particular reason to upgrade to release 4?  (Note my
main reason for running Unix is to learn the ins and outs of Unix, in hopes
that it will be applicable to Unix running on bigger badder machines than a
386.

A graphic/windows environment :  I have very close to zero dollars to spend on
software, so I am really picky about what I do spend.  (I mean who really
prices software for students eh?)  So is there an FTPable version of xwindows
out there for the 386?  I gave archie a call, and searched for "x386" and found
tons of stuff, but nothing that identified itself very plainly.   I may be able
to get my hands on a copy of Open Look, (a good portion of my family works for
AT&T) but I am told it is not really very pretty, rather two dimensional.  And
it seems everyone is really using X.  What is available out there?

GNU Software -  Seems a wonderful way to go on my budget, and I have even found
a site with Compiled versions for 386s, so I thought I would see if I could get
them to work.  What other FTPable software should I look for that supports the
386?

I wish we had a news group for Comp.unix.sysV386.beginner.  But I would
appreciate any advice I could get.

Stephen Figgins
2fmmempty at kuhub.cc.ukans.edu