EISA 1740 SCSI drivers under ISC 2.2.1 and SCO 3.2.2

colin manning cm at jet.uucp
Tue Apr 23 19:44:39 AEST 1991

Having recently obtained a 486 EISA machine with a 1740 EISA
SCSI controller, I was informed by the sales people that ISC 2.2.1
and SCO Unix 3.2.2 do not have drivers that use this card in
its fastest 'EISA/enhanced' mode. They say that these Unix's drive
the 1740 in its '1540 compatibility mode', which they say
would be about 5% slower than a dedicated 1740 driver, were one to
exist. They also inform me that with a SCSI-2 drive coupled with
the 1740 (which handles SCSI-2 I think), that you DONT get any
performance improvement over SCSI-1.

Is this correct ?

Also, if your SCSI drive handles synchronous transfers, will you
get higher performance with something like a 1740 under ISC or SCO ?

Many thanks in advance.
--
- Colin Manning, cm%jet.uucp at ukc.ac.uk (world) OR cm at jet.uucp (UK only)
- Disclaimer: Please note that the above is a personal view and should not