Fred Rump fred at compu.com
Wed Apr 17 04:33:42 AEST 1991

dvb at emisle.uucp (David Van Beveren) writes:

>The one-line summary is this: People who have SCO Unix are satisfied with it.

        Reading the various responses I get a different message back.
        It seems that satisfied is a bit of an understatement.

>However, my original impression that SCO is completely hopeless has been
>changed.

        To what? The respondents plainly tell you that SCO has a better
        product. Did you wish to listen or was your query mere
        propaganda?

        >I still feel that ISC would be better for software development, but
>SCO isn't really so bad for users of the word-processing type who just need a
>terminal.

        A bit condescending wouldn't you say? With roughly 80% of the
        world-wide market one would have to be pretty dumb to want to
        swim upstream and claim the minority view is better. Or is it
        that everyone else is wrong?

>Peoples opinion is that support for SCO unix seems to be better than ISC. I
>have never had a problem with ISC support, so I can't qualify that statement.

        But perhaps you should listen to the advice of your peers? Maybe
        they DO know something you don't.

>Since my original posting, my customer got SCO and is trying to install it. He
>is having a terrible time. bug: The TCP/IP was unlimited user license and the
>core was 1-2 user license. Installation of TCP barfed completely here and
>support told them to get the multi user core. $$. Nice touch.

        Seems perfectly logical to me. That's what the license says. If
        anything, call it a bug in the buyer's logic. If he's your
        customer, you offering professional software services, should have
        known what was required and installed the software for your
        customer. Whatever you do don't blame the customer or SCO.

        All in all, the original post had a trend in it that seems not to
        have changed even after all the advice from the net. So? Why
        bother?

>EIS ltd. Professional Software Services     UUCP:   ..uunet!emisle!dvb

        Fred

        PS   OK, I admit to being biased, but based upon overwhelming
        evidence. How about you?

--
Fred Rump              | Home of Brother John Software
CompuData, Inc.        | SCO Advanced Product Center