X386 question (how does it compare?)

Craig E. Smith csmith at cscs.UUCP
Sun Apr 7 06:14:28 AEST 1991

I have recently gotten Thomas Roell's X386 1.1 source distribution,
and I am wondering if it is worthwhile to try upgrading from my
existing server. I am now running Thomas Roell's old server (from
about a year ago) which I ported to my Zenith Z-386 machine running
Intel (formerly Bell Technologies) System V/386 Release 3.2, with
the original Zenith VGA card. I don't have TCP/IP, and use only
STREAMS connections. I am very happy with the old server, but if
X386 is significantly better, I might try to set it up when I have
time. What are the differences between the two servers? Is the new
one significantly better? I am particularly interested in differences
in speed, memory usage, and stability (under certain conditions I have
problems with lock-ups on the old server, but it doesn't happen often
enough to cause me to track down and fix the problem).