ISC RPC NFS v1.2 rexd

Bill Kennedy bill at wrangler.WLK.COM
Sat Apr 27 06:52:13 AEST 1991

This is the second ISC NFS anomaly that has me baffled, the other
one was about a runaway portmap process.  This one is more of a
puzzle since two similarly configured systems exhibit two different
behaviors.

To try and track down some problems between NCR's NFS and Interactive
I brought up a third system, carpet.  NFS seems to start just fine
and it seems to work OK but rexd likes to die when it's queried.  With
all of the appropriate daemons running on carpet (the newer box) I run

rpcinfo -u carpet 100003 2       to get NFS status on carpet and I get

rpcinfo: RPC: Program not registered
program 100003 version 2 is not available

And then a few minutes later on carpet's console I get

Cannot register service: RPC: Timed out
rexd: service rpc register: error

and a ps shows that the rexd daemon has exited.  I can start the daemon
again by hand and it will continue to run until someone or something
talks to it and it dies again.  The elder system, ssbn, seems to work
just fine, with the same command (but to ssbn) the reply is

program 100003 version 2 ready and waiting

If I start and stop NFS and verify that the daemons are all running on
carpet and run a

rpcinfo -p carpet     to see what's registered I get

   program vers proto  port
    100000    2   tcp   111  portmapper
    100000    2   udp   111  portmapper

and nothing else.  The same time out message eventually appears on carpet's
console.

I have commented out the pcnfsd, statd, and lockd stuff from the NFS
startup script but that's true of both machines so I don't think it
affects anything.  The other difference is that carpet has 6MB of memory
while ssbn has 12MB.  That shouldn't make any difference either, but if
I was so darned smart, I wouldn't be asking all these questions...  Does
anyone have any idea what might be happening?  Thanks,
--
Bill Kennedy  uucp      {att,cs.utexas.edu,pyramid!daver}!ssbn.wlk.com!bill
              internet    bill at ssbn.WLK.COM   or ssbn!bill at attmail.COM