Frustration with GCC, G++ and ISC 2.2

0000-Admin0000 root at shawn.uucp
Tue Apr 30 17:31:07 AEST 1991

I am posting to share my frustrations in hope that A) you will all weep with
pity, B) someone can direct me to a definitive list of fixes to ISC 2.2 that
will allow GNU products to compile more effectively, and C) someone can direct
me to GNU binaries for ISC 2.2 (no I don't have FTP access).

My sad story:

I got the sources to most all the GNU products from Mauro DePalma, a local
consultant who has ported all the GNU stuff to Interactive.  I was the last
person to get a copy from him before he began charging payment for making
tapes of GNU software (I forget the amount, might have been $100).  Well, I
was told that it would compile without a hitch on Interactive UNIX 2.2, and
that he rebuilt it all the time.

Well, I have had many many problems compiling the stuff.  Many errors appear
related to ISC's bungling of ANSI support, but I am not sure.  It has been a
while since I worked on the stuff, I had to drop the efforts to build GCC and
G++ and move to other things, so I cannot recall all the specific problems
I had.  This much I can say, GCC compiled and seems to work okay, but only
in traditional mode.  G++ I left in a state of impasse.

Now understand that I am not blaming Mauro for any of this.  He probably
had some revisions to his Interactive header files to resolve some of these
problems, and perhaps lost track of some (I probably would too).  I have been
hesitant to call him back to ask for any more help since I don't really want
to pay $75/hr, and my understanding is that he wishes to support GNU products
on a paid basis from now on (fair enough, we all gotta eat, right?) - but I am
still frustrated that this stuff is so far from compiling correctly...

Other people reported this fix and that to apply to Interactive headers, but
none of these have proven to be conclusive solutions.  Perhaps part of the
problem is that there are various versions of the porting hacks out there
that have gotten the GNU stuff working, and they are going different
directions.

At any rate, I would really like to put this thing to rest and resolve
whatever problems are keeping me from correctly building GCC and G++.  So
I ask you all:

1.	Is there a *definitive, complete* list of things to correct in the
	header files supplied by Interactive to correctly build GCC/G++ ?

2.	Is there a set of GCC/G++ sources that will correctly build on
	a *virgin* ISC 2.2 system (of nearly-virgin...) ?

3.	Is there any GCC/G++/other-GNU-stuff binaries for ISC 2.2 out there
	that I can get a copy of ?  I do not have FTP access...

Thanks for any and all help...