malloc() problem solved(?)

Dan Rich drich at dialogic.com
Wed Apr 10 07:51:20 AEST 1991

It looks like we may have a solution to our malloc() problems.  We
managed to track it a little further using malloc(3X), and the
debug-malloc library.  Apparently, there is a malloc somewhere in a
signal handler.  And, if a signal occurs during a malloc elsewhere in
our code, the signal handler malloc does a very good job of destroying
the malloc pointers in the application.

So, it looks like the solution to this problem is to not put mallocs
in your signal handlers.  :-(

Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions.  They helped to track this
one down!

--
Dan Rich                    | drich at dialogic.com  || ...!uunet!dialogic!drich
UNIX Systems Administrator  | "Danger, you haven't seen the last of me!"