Another GCC 1.39 and Sys Vr4 problem.

Michael Meissner meissner at osf.org
Thu Apr 25 06:14:47 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr23.033656.22411 at mcrsys.UUCP> tony at mcrsys.UUCP (Tony Becker) writes:

| From article <1991Apr22.005126.425 at swsrv1.cirr.com>, by toma at swsrv1.cirr.com (Tom Armistead):
| >
| >     cc1: Invalid option `-g'
| >

| tom:
|
| in ./config/tm-i386v4.h sdb debugging is turned off. It is my understanding
| that gcc realy wants berkly a.out headers to use gdb. It  can tolerate
| coff format using coff-encap, but you have elf.

No it can produce normal COFF debug information without COFF encap.
It's just the dwarf information that SV.4 uses is not COFF.  GCC 2.00
will support this (the work is being done by Ron Guilmette).  Whether
or not the 386 assembler is up to the task, I knoweth not.

Because adding a new debug format is a 'feature' rather than fixing a
bug, the two new debug formats (dwarf and MIPS) will probably not be
added to the FSF 1.xx releases.  Patches may be around though.....
--
Michael Meissner	email: meissner at osf.org		phone: 617-621-8861

Considering the flames and intolerance, shouldn't USENET be spelled ABUSENET?