How to translate from f/s block # to absolute disk sector?

Ed Gould ed at mtxinu.COM
Mon Apr 15 06:07:23 AEST 1991

>then during Phase 5 - Check Free List fsck responds
>"CAN NOT READ: BLK 106626".

If this message appears *without* any indication from the driver that
there was a read error, then the problem is that the super-block thinks
that the filesystem extends past the end of the partition in which it
was created.  It's possible to create such a filesystem on some systems
with some versions of mkfs, since creating the filesystem does not often
involve writing into the last several sectors.   It should not be possible
to create one of these on a BSD-based filesystem, since newfs is supposed
to attempt to write into the last sector of the filesystem before doing
anything else.

--
Ed Gould			No longer formally affiliated with,
ed at mtxinu.COM			and certainly not speaking for, mt Xinu.

"I'll fight them as a woman, not a lady.  I'll fight them as an engineer."