Rewritable optical drives and Interactive UNIX

John Vert johnv at rri.UUCP
Thu Apr 4 02:26:15 AEST 1991

We are trying to use the LaserBank 600R drives on a secondary SCSI controller.
(Adaptec 1540)  Our primary controller is an IDE controller, and the optical
drives would be the only ones on the secondary controller.

We have been using Micro Design's SMO driver, which works pretty well.
Usually.  It seems to create kernel panics intermittently, which is
completely unacceptable for our application.  Interactive's documentation
and support lines have, so far, been less then helpful.  (Maybe their
phone system is buggy, and maybe I'm just annoying, but I seem to get
hung-up on an awful lot when I call them)

If you have had any success with using ANYTHING plugged into a secondary
SCSI controller, please let me know.
	-John Vert

	uunet.uu.net!vtserf!rri!johnv