ISC 2.2.1 groups != Sun/BSD groups (+ patch)

Sean Eric Fagan sef at kithrup.COM
Sun Apr 7 11:06:11 AEST 1991

In article <6UQPL0V at geminix.in-berlin.de> gemini at geminix.in-berlin.de (Uwe Doering) writes:
>In this
>POSIX start-up file there is a call to the POSIX function __setostype().

This is not a function specified by POSIX.

>For instance, giving away file ownerships to other users is allowed
>for every user under SysVr3. Under POSIX, only root can do that.

Not true.  POSIX allows either (standard SysV or BSD-style) behaviour.  FIPS
took the "option," thus requiring, for certain government bids, the OS to
restrict chgrp's (and chown's).  SCO allows this to be set on a
per-individual basis, incidently; one of the few things I like about the
SecureWare stuff.

sef at kithrup.COM  |  I had a bellyache at the time."