High-speed SLIP/PPP

William Miskovetz misko at abhg.UUCP
Thu Apr 18 03:36:38 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr17.133255.2117 at nstar.rn.com>, larry at nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) writes:

> Hmm - At least with Interactive if one runs SLIP they need
> to run it on the stock ASY port.  We've tried numerous
> smartboards and had nothing but problems - and finally
> we received information that 386/ix has specific hooks in
> the ASY driver to support SLIP.  With a 16550AFN and the
> buffer enabled (the ASY driver enables the FIFO) throughput
> is quite good (with the DTE locked at 38400).

This certainly isn't true.  I run SLIP on a generic 2 port serial card
with 16550As and an APT 8 port card, both using FAS, and SLIP works with
no problems.  So, ISC's stock ASY driver isn't required.  This is with
ISC 2.2 and their TCP/IP 1.2.

> >Yes, very.  Most of the router vendors have adopted PPP for
> >interoperability on their sync links.  Telebit, Interactive, FTP,
> >Intercon, and others support async PPP in their products.  PPP has
> >many more advantages over SLIP besides the ability to escape the
> >control characters.

Has Interactive shipped an update to their TCP/IP that supports PPP?

Bill Miskovetz
{uunet!lll-winken, apple!mathworks}!abhg!misko
misko at mathworks.com
abhg!misko at lll-winken.llnl.gov