Best way to backup SCO Xenix/UNIX

Ronald S H Khoo ronald at robobar.co.uk
Sun Apr 7 22:45:50 AEST 1991

macleod at cmllab.rgb.sub.org (Connor MacLeod) writes:

> The advantage in using cpio instead
> of tar is that cpio is able to backup special devices, too.

Well, one of the advantages, anyway.  Yes, cpio is a good choice.

> Have a look at the various options of cpio. The ones mentioned above
> are ok with me. You might change the blocksize or something else.

If you're running SCO Xenix 2.3.x, you'll get more cpio options if you
install SLS xnx 155b a.k.a. UFM.  Available for anon UUCP from sosco,
anon FTP from uunet.uu.net, or from whoever sells you support, I guess.

This new cpio is taken from Sys V R3.2 (in fact I think it's actually a
COFF executable) and has nice options like how big your tape is,
and lets you use huge buffers to make your tape stream nicely.  If you're
running a cartridge tape drive, there's also an improved device driver
in that update which makes multivolume backups a lot easier.

--
Ronald Khoo <ronald at robobar.co.uk> +44 81 991 1142 (O) +44 71 229 7741 (H)