isc, slip, X

Steven H. Izen shi at po.CWRU.Edu
Wed Apr 24 01:15:12 AEST 1991

I am currently running isc 3.2.2 with their version of X on a system which
is connected to the outside world only by phone lines- that is no tcp/ip.

What I would like to do is use the x server on the 386 with x-clients on
remote machines.  ISC (actually Multi-user systems) has informed me
that ISC's sl/ip will not work with their X server.  Given past experiences
with the Hollis, NH advice, I am not sure if they are to believed.

Thus the following questions:

1) Will I be able to use ISC's sl/ip with ISC's X?
2) If not, will there be some other way to get a remote machine to
talk to my x server over serial lines?

Yes, I know that even at 9600 baud, X is supposed to be slow, but It's still
faster than downloading my (* LARGE *) data files, and doing the number
crunching on a 386 p.c. (The numbers are being crunched and graphics are being
generated on supercomputers.)

Please reply by e-mail as I don't often have the time that I'd like to
read this group regularly.

Thanx.
--
 Steven H. Izen, Assistant Professor, Department of Mathematics and Statistics.
Reply to izen at cwru.cwru.edu or steve at izen386.math.cwru.edu or
	steve at pitacat.math.cwru.edu
Entropy - It's not what it used to be.