vpix help

Gary Coffman gary at ke4zv.UUCP
Fri Apr 5 10:52:28 AEST 1991

In article <25428 at hydra.gatech.EDU> gt3408a at prism.gatech.EDU (DYKES,DAVID PRESTON) writes:
>this I discovered a very weird bug...  My machine will quit from vpix as long
>as it is attached to a color monitor!  My mono just won't cut it.  Sounds
>like black magic to me.   If this makes any more sense to any of ya'll I would
>GREATLY appreciate any pointers.

My problem is the reverse. VPIX works great with a mono display card and
monitor. Then I changed over to a Paradise VGA+ and a Seiko VGA monitor.
I can enter VPIX and run DOS programs, but when I quit, the screen goes
away and can't be recovered except by a hardware reset. The VGA system
works fine under Unix. The VGA system works fine under VPIX. But leaving
VPIX crashes the display system. Note that I actually do return to Unix
and can switch virtual terminals to console and run shutdown, but of
course I'm working blind until a hardware reset. I suspect that the
display card is being switched to a TTL mode, probably EGA, when it
returns from VPIX. The Seiko in an analog only monitor and goes into
sweep protect when exiting VPIX. Does anybody know a fix for this
problem?

Gary