ct won't run (was: SCO 'su' replacement)

Daniel A. Glasser dag at gorgon.uucp
Tue Apr 16 12:44:43 AEST 1991

In article <eoke13w164w at mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us> mju at mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) writes:
>I've given up on the SCO su(1).  I don't think SCO is ever going to be
>able to make SCO Unix act like "real Unix" -- i.e., you type "su", and
>after you enter the correct password, you ARE root.  The only thing to
>identify you as your previous user is your utmp record.

Actually, I can't remember ever using a version of Unix that exhibits this
behavior through 'su'.  Every 'su' I've ever used (7th edition through SysV)
has spawned a new shell with uid set to root, but the parent of that shell
was the su command, and the parent of that was the shell with the original
uid.  The only thing to identify you as your previous user is your utmp
record and your parent (or grandparent or greatgrandparent) process uid.

I may be wrong, but this is how it's always looked to me.

						Daniel A. Glasser

--
Daniel A. Glasser                       One of those things that goes
dag%gorgon at persoft.com                  "BUMP! (ouch!)" in the night.