Daylight Savings Time..

Bill Vermillion bill at bilver.uucp
Sat Apr 6 11:32:31 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr5.173841.28805 at ttank.ttank.com> karl at ttank.com writes:
>I've heard rumors that Congress is goign to push the daylight savings
>time ending back to the end of April.  Anyone have good ideas on how
>to tell SCO Xenix 2.3.3 this?  If all else fails I guess I'll reset TZ
>with a lie for a few weeks.

The problem we used to have was the system always thought daylight
savings time ended & started at the same time - eg x week of year
start, y week of the year end.

Well with the Carter adminstration energy conservation schemes,
time changes became unpredictable.  Many systems now are able to
take care of any changes that you wish, or that congress wishes
:-).

Look at TZ in the manual. You will see that start end of daylight
time can be set in one of three ways by using the script /etc/tz.

By week of the year (1-52), Week of a month ( eg 1st week of Apri)
or day of the year (1-365).

If you tell the script you are not in the US you can set the
letters you want for regular time and summertime, and how many
hours, minutes, and seconds you are west of GMT or a negative
amount if you are east.  You can also set the time of day that
conversion from one to the other occurs.

In other words, we don't have to worry about the laws changing
because we can handle it ourselves.

                      : bill at bilver.UUCP