SCO RTSFLOW (was re: Help Telebit and SCO RTS/CTS Setup)

Greg Andrews gandrews at netcom.COM
Sat Apr 6 09:00:09 AEST 1991

In article <TMPP9FB at geminix.in-berlin.de> gemini at geminix.in-berlin.de (Uwe Doering) writes:

>This is a common misunderstanding of how RTSFLOW works under SCO UNIX (and
>Xenix as well). SCO implemented a half duplex type of hardware flow
>control, as it is described in the original RS232C standard. That is,
>RTS signals the modem whether there are any characters in the _computer's_
>output buffer. If there are none, RTS is low, otherwise it's high. This
>won't work at all if the modem is configured to use full duplex hardware
>flow control. In this mode RTS signals the modem that the computer is
>ready to receive characters. As far as I know, there is no way to get this
>working with the original SCO sio driver, as it isn't designed for that
>type of handshake.

Then why does RTS stay high all the time at slower speeds?  If it behaved
consistently, then the modem could simply be configured to use half duplex
flow control (S58=1 S68=255) and be done with it.

Unfortunately, in my version of SCO Unix (3.2.0 according to the kernel),
RTS stays on all the time when getty is using the B9600 or slower entries
in /etc/gettydefs.  That violates the rules for half duplex RTS/CTS.  RTS
should be low while the computer is not transmitting.

--
|  Greg Andrews   |       UUCP: {apple,amdahl,claris}!netcom!gandrews    |