Goofy problem with SCO Unix and Xenix

Dave Shepperd shepperd at dms.UUCP
Fri Apr 26 10:51:21 AEST 1991

I don't get it. I have a single SCO Xenix/386 system that has been working
perfectly for several years (SysV release 2.3.2 kid 5.53 for i80386). This
system has SCO's TCP/IP for Xenix version 1.0.0 (I think).

I also have an SCO ODT system which has TCP/IP version 1.0.0beta (or some
such) and has been running right along with the Xenix system for the last
couple of years with no problems (except I can't get the nameserver to work).

I recently purchased an SCO Unix 3.2.2 and a companion SCO Unix TCP/IP package
and installed it on yet another system. About 30 seconds after the TCP starts
on this new system, the Xenix system hangs. No error messages appear anywhere,
the Xenix system just "goes to sleep".

SCO tech support says one of two things: either "...that's impossible..." or
there is a "...duplicate key..." on one of the systems.

I don't agree that it's impossible since I can watch it happen each time and
every time. I also don't agree that there is a duplicate key since the SCO
Unix keys are the ones fresh and crisp from the box in which the new products
arrived AND they bear no resembalnce to the keys I used on the Xenix products.
In addition, I recall several years ago when I inadvertantly used the same key
on more than one of the Xenix systems we had then that I was greeted with a
message on the console saying in effect "There is another mechanism...". It
may have hung after that, I don't remember.

The SCO ODT system continues to operate normally after the Xenix system hangs
as do the ESIX, Sun, VAX and other nodes running TCP/IP. I've been informed
that the version of TCP I have on the Xenix system is the only available
version (i.e. there is no "update" that I've missed).

For the time being, the new SCO stuff sits on the shelf and the new PC is
running DOS (ouch) :-(

Anybody have a clue what's happening here? Anybody have a fix for it?

--
Dave Shepperd.	    shepperd at dms.UUCP or motcsd!dms!shepperd
Atari Games Corporation, 675 Sycamore Drive, Milpitas CA 95035.