Help Please with Telebit and SCO RTS/CTS Setup?! (LONG)

Steve Watt steve at wattres.uucp
Wed Apr 3 17:51:23 AEST 1991

In article <5176 at mjbtn.JOBSOFT.COM> root at mjbtn.JOBSOFT.COM (Mark J. Bailey) writes:
>Hello Netlanders,
>
>I am having a problem that I am not sure how to handle.  Maybe some of you
>can help.
>
>I am trying to get FULL DUPLEX hardware (RTS/CTS) flow control working on
>SCO ODT 1.0 (unix version 3.2.1).  I am not having much luck.  The modem is
>a Telebit Trailblazer Plus modem.  I am locking the baud rate from the serial
[ he tries lots of things that look entirely reasonable ]

  My solution to this particular problem was the same as my solution to the
poor throughput that you'll see once you get the line up:  Find a serial card
that you can replace the 16450s with 16550s (not strictly needed), and install
the FAS (Final Async Solution, I think) that was posted to (I think)
comp.unix.i386.  It handles FULL flow control and FULL modem control, seems
to be somewhat lower overhead than SCOs driver, and supports the 16550's
16 character FIFO to improve the throughput while reducing system load.

  I'm not sure if the FAS driver is available from UUNET, but I would not
be surprised.  I'll mail you a copy (release 2.07 patchlevel 0).  In fact,
if I'm behind, I'd appreciate someone mailing me a more current one.

Have fun!
--
Steve Watt       steve at wattres.UUCP                  swatt at IBM.COM
          ...!decwrl!gigo!wattres!steve    ...!apple!claris!wattres!steve