Exabyte and Multiple SCSI device performance

Stuart Lynne sl at van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca
Wed Apr 3 06:52:16 AEST 1991

I'm looking at installing a SCSI based Exabyte to keep van-bc backed up. Two
questions which came to mind:

	1) Should we be adding a second SCSI controller
	2) Does the Exabyte support write/append

Currently we're running SCO UNIX with a 150MB tape and 3 SCSI hard disks on
an Adaptec 1540 controller. Should we add a second controller with the
Exabyte? If so should we put disks on one controller and both tapes on the
other? Or split both drives and tapes across both controllers?

With the Exabyte, can we leave a tape in it, and perform successive
incremental saves using the non-rewind device? This presumably would allow a
cron script to do incremental backup's automatically once or twice a day.

Any comments would be welcome. Thanks....

--
Stuart Lynne	Computer Signal Corporation, Canada
		...!van-bc!sl 604-937-7532(voice)     	sl at wimsey.bc.ca