Getting AT&T SVR4 up on SCSI

Kent Karrer kentkar at shambala.uucp
Sun Apr 21 14:40:45 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr16.201741.47441 at cc.usu.edu> jrd at cc.usu.edu writes:
>  ||lots of stuff deleted||
>	So, what might be going on here. The WD 7000 is brand new, with v3.36
>ROM. The drive is brand new (albeit of an older design) and checks out fine
>with non-Unix tests. I even reformatted it under DOS and found no extra bad
>blocks. The machine is well worn and trustworthy. My fall back is to find
>an extra day, build an ST506 kernel, go through the fun of replacing the
>hd driver with Columbia Data Product's material, make a new boot floppy and
>reconstuct the machine (remove extra boards and such). My hope is that it's
>all my fat fingers rather than a "no way" kind of thing. [Yes, the WD board
>was set for DMA 6, IRQ 15h, port 350h, with the floppy controller activated,
>with the Bios set to CE00h, basically straight out the box condition matching
>what my AT&T manuals say to do. LUN 0 on the drive.]
>	Puzzled,
>	Joe D.

I just tried the same thing with a WD7000FASST2 and Maxtor 8380. My first
problem was that I could not get the floppy to read correctly. A call to
Columbia Tech Support indicated that the jumpers for ANSI floppy were wrong
in the documentation. That corrected, the floppies worked for about an hour
and then died completely. I think the floppy controller portion of the board
went around the bend. I substituted in my old controller, strapped it to be
the primary floppy controller and was off again until I tried to create file
systems on the hard drive. I got a read block error or something to that effect,
the install aborted and nothing I did in the last two and a half days has gottenaround that. At this point, my only alternative is to try and get my money
back and see what happens with an Adaptec 1540B controller.
--
[ A GREAT DEAL OF CHAOS IN THE WORLD occurs because people don't appreciate ]