New Login: need crypt

Eamonn McManus em at dce.ie
Thu Apr 4 22:54:49 AEST 1991

cme at ellisun.sw.stratus.com (Carl Ellison) writes:
>>It produces the same result as
>>crypt() for short passwords (<= 8 plaintext characters); for longer
>>passwords it apparently crypts each block of eight characters separately
>>and concatenates the results.
>
>If I understand this correctly, bigcrypt() will let you know, through the
>number of output blocks, truncate(password_length / 8).
>
>Needless to say, that's a security flaw.

The passwords are stored in a user database that is not pleb-readable.  So
the security of the encryption scheme is not as important as in the
traditional setup where encrypted passwords appear in /etc/passwd.  Not
that I think this is an excuse for laxity.

I think that 2^56 is an adequately large keyspace, so it would be better
to treat long passwords by combining the extra characters with earlier
ones so as to produce 8-byte keys containing characters that would not
ordinarily be in passwords.

,
Eamonn