Does ESIX still not support RLL?

brian brian at bjm.wimsey.bc.ca
Wed Apr 24 13:34:32 AEST 1991

kaleb at thyme.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley) writes:
>The myth that ESIX doesn't support RLL controllers is a bit of marketing
>hype.  ESIX documentation states unequivocally that ESIX does support
>RLL, and I can unequivocally state that both 5.3.2.C and 5.3.2.D both
>support RLL very nicely.

I think the issue here is that too many yahoos (myself included) put "MFM"
manufactured drives on an RLL controller.

I really don't see any problem doing this as long as one realizes that they
can't phone ESIX and whine when a drive gets lottsa bad sectors and loses
info.

BTW the drives I have on RLL are a real RLL and a 20 meg miniscribe MFM
(getting me 30 meg on RLL) and the MFM drive is more reliable (in terms of
constant sector remapping) than the RLL drive.

						Brian
--
          /  /    /  /|  /|  (604)520-3808           uunet!van-bc!bjm!brian