X386 under ESIX 5.3.2

robsch robsch at altger.UUCP
Sun Apr 28 07:00:38 AEST 1991

Has someone succeeded in compiling and running X386 (by T. Roell)
on Esix 5.3.2 Rev. D?

I have big problems.
What I did was the following:
1. install X.11R4 tape with fix-1 to fix-18 patches applied.
2. applied the patch file diff???? from Mar 17, 1991.
   (not applying the reversed patches)
3. running SetupLinks and SetupEsixLinks
in directory mit/config:
4. editing at386.cf:
    - no shared libaries (in order to simplify things)
    - gcc used
    - has sockets  no (only local connections)
    - has dbm yes
5. editing Makefile.ini choosing BOOTSTRAPCFLAGS -DSYSV -DUSG -DESIX -DSYSV386
6. make -f Makefile.ini
   in directory mit:
7. editing Makefile (same BOOTSTRAPCFLAGS as in 5)
8. Make World

in mit/lib/X : XConnDis.c . I deleted one line in the macro definition
               of LOCALCONNECTION   (MakeUNIXSocketConnection etc)
               in order to get XConnDis.c compiled
in mit/server/os/4.2bsd: access.c xdmcp.c : I had to add some definitions

Now, after "make install" I tried startx:
What did happen? The typical gray X screen appeared, (even in the
highest resolution 1024x768x8 on my Tseng Labs ET4000 board) but
I could move the mouse cursor only for a few seconds, then the
mouse "died" and the whole server. I could only switch off my 386.

Of course, I modified the kernel parameters as indicated in the
install.sh script.

Perhaps, anyone here in this newsgroup had more success.
Thank you very much in advance.

Robert

You can also reach me at BIX under 'robsch'.