Bad Hertz on SCO

Evan B. Ross evan at dmr.com
Sat Apr 20 02:38:37 AEST 1991

I've had a minor problem with SCO, in that whenever I do a 'df' it complains
about a bad hertz value. This is caused by a bad entry in /etc/mnttab.

I called SCO tech support and they said that it was because I'd changed
root's default shell to 'csh', and sent me a four page fax describing how
to set up alternate accounts named 'rootksh' and 'rootcsh'.

This involved editting the passwd and auth files by hand. Not terribly complex,
but it is still a rather inadequate solution.

After a little diddling, what I did instead was to insert the line
'exec /bin/csh' into /.profile. That way, the root's default shell is still
'sh' so that the boot sequence works correctly (and doesn't corrupt my
mnttab), but when I log in a root I automatically get csh.

This is another example of SCO's ability to identify, assess, and correct
a problem in a straightforward manner ;-)

--
  There's sparks a comin' outa' my head!!!

	Evan B. Ross		evan at dmr.com
	DMR, Wellesley MA