out of swap space??

terry linhardt terry at jgaltstl.UUCP
Fri Apr 26 07:55:13 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr24.123035.4193 at virtech.uucp>, cpcahil at virtech.uucp (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
> aed at netcom.COM (Andrew Davidson) writes:
>
> >I am currently trying to port an application from a sun sparc station
> >to SCO ODT UNIX. I seem to get some weird run time core dumps. I
> >talked to the orginal authour of the code, and was told that this
> >might because my system is running out of swap space?
>

> >HOW BIG SHOULD MY SWAP BE? I have 8megs of ram
>
> My general rule of thumb is 2x your memory (or 16mb for your system).  Of

I've often wondered where the recommendation that 2 - 3x real memory should
be made available to swap comes from? Wouldn't this depend upon
whether or not the system is swapping at all? For instance, let's
say you have 48 meg of memory, and no swapping. Does this mean
I should tie up 100 - 150 meg of disk space for swap? Also, isn't
there less need for swap space with paging systems?

I would like to see some thoughts on the validity of these
rule-of-thumb recommendations. Not saying they are wrong, but would
like to know the justification behind them.

|  Terry Linhardt      The Lafayette Group      uunet!jgaltstl!terry  |