What's in a name? (was Re: wanted: UNIX or clone)

John R. Levine johnl at iecc.cambridge.ma.us
Tue Apr 2 14:16:08 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr1.144722.1753 at telly.on.ca> you write:
>I believe that Interactive (386/ix) [has chosen to invent their own names ...
>By the way: Is Interactive still going to call its Release 4 product
>"486/ix"?

As of their release 2.2, which is still based on Sys V.3.2, Interactive
changed the name of their product to "INTERACTIVE UNIX" rather than 386/ix.
They fortunately never released anything called 486/ix.

Apparently until a year or so ago AT&T didn't license the unix name at all,
then changed their minds so that many of the licensees changed their product
names to include the name "unix."

--
Regards,
John Levine, johnl at iecc.cambridge.ma.us, {spdcc|ima|world}!iecc!johnl