RISC (Reduced Instruction-Set Chip) vs. CISC

terry a jones jones at acsu.buffalo.edu
Thu Apr 25 15:00:46 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr25.033637.15092 at leland.Stanford.EDU> fangchin at elaine54.Stanford.EDU (Chin Fang) writes:
>I believe many people would enjoy the chance of looking at kernel
>disk file sizes.  Below I give three (vm)unix file sizes:
>
>RS6000 supersalar -> multiple instructions per clock, in the case of
>                      IBM, the number is 4
>        1271128 bytes
>
>SUN OS 4.1.1 on SPARC -> derivative of Berkeley RISC
>
>        1303014 bytes
>
>Ultrix 4.1 on MIPS 5500 (DEC System 5500, Stanford MIPS project decendent)
>
>        3375632 bytes

	One thing to keep in mind also, is the fact that RISC compiled objects
are generally larger than their CISC counterparts would be.  Makes good sense
to me, since there are fewer instructions for the compiler implementer to
use, his code sequences will generally require more of them.  I don't have
any hard figures available at the moment.  I'm sure that I could come up
with some if the need arose.  I recall figures of approx. 30% in some of the
recent literature that I have read.

	Terry

Terry Jones   				{rutgers,uunet}!acsu.buffalo.edu!jones
SUNY at Buffalo ECE Dept.	  or: rutgers!ub!jones, jones at acsu.buffalo.edu