Groff docs: where to get?

David Dawes dawes at suphys.physics.su.OZ.AU
Sun Apr 14 23:39:29 AEST 1991

In article <194 at xyzoom.UUCP> rob at xyzoom.info.com (Rob Lingelbach) writes:
>I recently installed groff & gtroff versions 1.0, and would like to
>know how they differ from nroff and troff; the man page is inscrutable
>on this.  I have a book on Unix text processing that will teach me
>nroff, but I don't know how much is common ground between it and groff.
>Can anyone clarify this for me?

groff/gtroff can handle most nroff/troff source.  There is a compatibility
flag to get around a couple of incompatibilities.  The only problem is that
not all of the common macro packages are supplied with groff.

The man page for gtroff describes features not in troff, so a book on unix
text processing together with the man page should be all you need.  I don't
think the gtroff man page is at all incsrutable on the differences --
that is precisely what 90% of the 20 page man "page" is about.

David