ESIX *does* support RLL (was Re: Does ESIX still not support RLL?)

Glenn Geers glenn at suphys.physics.su.OZ.AU
Sun Apr 28 10:40:09 AEST 1991

>From article <78 at overlf.UUCP>, by emanuele at overlf.UUCP (Mark A. Emanuele):
> In article <513 at pyrite.nj.pyramid.com>, bill at pyrite.nj.pyramid.com (Bill Pechter) writes:
>> In article <3080 at cirrusl.UUCP> Rahul Dhesi <dhesi at cirrus.COM> writes:
>> >
>> >How can ESIX even know whether the controller uses RLL?  How can
>> >anybody find this out without ripping the disk apart and analyzing the
>> >bit-patterns stored on the platter?
>>
>> If there's more than the standard number of MFM sectors per track -- you lose.
>> RLL does 25, ERLL (Perstor) does 31... So if the driver expects 1-17 only...
>> you may not see your full disk sizes (at best).
>>

> For all it's bad points, SCO DOES support all kinds of ODD Hard disks.
> That's one of the reasons I still use it.

My primary hard disk and controller are an ST4144R disk and a WD-1006vsr2
controller. The only trouble I've had is the notorious lock-up problem.
I've cured this by formatting 2:1, so I lose a little speed but it's a
lot better than crashing (anyway I've got a 209 Mb SCSI as my other drive :-) ).
ESIX does detect that the primary drive is RLL. That's ESIX rev. D - the only
version I've used.
Cheers,
	Glenn

> --
> Mark A. Emanuele
> V.P. Engineering  Overleaf, Inc.
> 218 Summit Ave   Fords, NJ 08863
> (908) 738-8486                           emanuele at overlf.UUCP

Glenn Geers                       | "So when it's over,
                                  |  we're back to people.
Department of Theoretical Physics |  Just to prove that human touch
The University of Sydney          |  can have no equal."
Sydney NSW 2006 Australia         |  - Basia Trzetrzelewska, 'Prime Time TV'

       +61 2 660-2903 (fax)       |

glenn at qed.physics.su.oz.au        | #include <standard_disclaimer.h>