Is this a reasonable platform for SCO Unix?

Michael Squires mikes at iuvax.cs.indiana.edu
Fri Apr 26 05:33:30 AEST 1991

In article <638 at mixcom.COM> ggvvgg at mixcom.COM (Dave Fenske) writes:
>If you REALLY want to have sexy windows.  And, if you really want Unix, but
>still might want to run DOS applications from time to time, why not
>consider a nice Sun Sparcstation.  You'll get better performance (much
>better) and save money.

A 486/25 under SCO ODT 1.0 clocked at 21K 1.1 Dhrystones/sec; the same code
compiled on a SPARCStation-1 clocked at the same, 21K/sec.  A very short
loop running under the elk 1.3 SCHEME interpreter showed nearly identical
wall clock times running on a SPARCStation 1+ and the same 486/25 (if anyone
wants to play with SCHEME elk 1.3 has 386 UNIX support and compiles without
signficant changes using Microsoft C).

DOS Merge on the 486/25 should be much faster than a DOS emulator on the
SPARC.

I don't use the SCO X11R3 and have not installed the X11R4 X386, but the
SPARC graphics is clearly much much better than what I've got.

--

Mike Squires (mikes at iuvax.cs.indiana.edu)     812 855 3974 (w) 812 333 6564 (h)
mikes at iuvax.cs.indiana.edu          546 N Park Ridge Rd., Bloomington, IN 47408
Under construction: mikes at sir-alan.cica.indiana.edu