swap space not first partition

Bill Vermillion bill at bilver.uucp
Tue Apr 30 13:07:57 AEST 1991

In article <2059 at ssbn.WLK.COM> bill at ssbn.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy) writes:

>I was installing ISC on a single spindle system the other day and I
>got the bright idea to put the swap partition in between root and
>/usr.  Made some sense that it might help a bit even though you'd
>have to seek across it every time whether you were swapping or not.

>The installation scripts wouldn't let me do it, maybe they were
>protecting me from myself.  Has anyone put swap space in the middle
>of the disk?  Any thoughts regarding whether or not this is a smart
>thing to do?  I think I know how to do it by hand, I'm curious about
>whether or not anyone has tried it.

Putting the swap between two file systems on a single hard disk is
the default method that SCO uses.  It seems to work for them.

This goes along with the thinking of some other operating systems I
have used by putting frequently accessed tracks in a central
location, eg a part of the disk where the average access time is
the same - in those small OSes the directories were placed in the
center of the disk.

It would seem to be a logical place for swap, but I have not seen
(nor done) tests pointing to this.

                      : bill at bilver.UUCP