Uwe Doering gemini at geminix.in-berlin.de
Tue Apr 30 20:01:37 AEST 1991

rcbarn at rw6.urc.tue.nl (Raymond Nijssen) writes:

>My warning reflected the warnings some 2 years ago that there were NS16550A's
>around with broken FIFO's; it was stated repeatedly that not all bytes of the
>FIFO were ok, though I didn't experience this myself: I just got the AF(N)
>version which works fine.

Are you sure about that? I know that the NS16550 (without trailing `A') has
broken FIFOs. This was the predecessor of the NS16550A, and isn't produced
any more, as far as I know. But this broken chip seems to be the source for
most of the second source manufacturers that claim to have UARTs that are
fully compatible to the NS16550. Sure they are. They are as broken as the
NS16550. ;-)

     Uwe
Uwe Doering  |  INET : gemini at geminix.in-berlin.de
Germany      |  UUCP : ...!unido!fub!geminix.in-berlin.de!gemini