ESIX, IDE drives, and FAS...

Gray Watson cgwst at unix.cis.pitt.edu
Tue Apr 23 07:45:36 AEST 1991

BACKGROUND:
I'm running ESIX V3.2 Rev D on a 386/25 (not 26) Mhz. clone on a 120Mb
IDE drive.

PROBLEM:
The normal installation went fine with the usual reboots after
package loading.  After installation of the FAS driver (v2.0.8) and reboot,
however, I got the famous, no not single but, Double Panic.  Oooohhhh.

In any case, it seems that the FAS driver and the IDE hard-drive (I assume)
are conflicting.  It panics right after the FAS message prints in
fasinit().  I tried renaming FAS to move it after the loading of the
hard-disk drivers to no avail.  I also tried to load FAS at the start
which also did not work.

Since the FAS message is the last thing the driver does before exiting,
I don't have a good idea what is failing.

Any ideas or info would be appreciated.
Thanks.
gray

gray%antr.uucp at med.pitt.edu (soon to be gray at antaire.com)