Uwe Doering gemini at geminix.in-berlin.de
Wed Apr 24 04:50:23 AEST 1991

rcbarn at rw7.urc.tue.nl (Raymond Nijssen) writes:

>bill at unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) writes:
>>In article <T74R12w163w at aegis.or.jp> davidg%aegis.or.jp at kyoto-u.ac.jp (Dave McLane) writes:
>>>   You can buy NS16550AFNs from Altex Electronics.
>>Careful here ...  I ordered *NS16550A* chips [...]
>
>Be even more careful here! Only the AFN version offers a 16 byte FIFO.

I disagree. I developed FAS for NS16550A chips, and have six of them on my
own serial card. And obviously, FAS uses the 16 byte FIFOs. The `AF' version
has a faster timing, but is functionally equivalent to the `A' version. The
trailing `N' indicates the packaging technique used for this chip, in
this case a plastic body in DIL form.

      Uwe
Uwe Doering  |  INET : gemini at geminix.in-berlin.de
Germany      |  UUCP : ...!unido!fub!geminix.in-berlin.de!gemini