wanted: UNIX or clone

Rick Kelly rmk at rmkhome.UUCP
Thu Apr 4 11:12:00 AEST 1991

In article <450 at jgaltstl.UUCP> terry at jgaltstl.UUCP (terry linhardt) writes:
>In article <9103232223.30 at rmkhome.UUCP>, rmk at rmkhome.UUCP (Rick Kelly) writes:
>
>> been running Coherent since early December, and have been very pleased.
>>
>> I still can't believe it's not UNIX.
>>

>Which provokes the question.........just *what* is UNIX? Is it
>SVID? Is it really a philosophy? Can someone say that AIX, for
>instance, is 'UNIX', since some would argue it is really a
>proprietary OS based upon an 'old' version of 'UNIX'. If Coherent
>is *not* UNIX, as you imply, then what is UNIX?

To be called UNIX, an os must have the blessing of AT&T.  This usually means
that the os is a port of AT&T's proprietary code to a specific platform.  If
it passes SVID, and the developer has paid AT&T a source licensing fee, it can
then be resold as UNIX.

Coherent is a UNIX clone based upon V7 with some V5 extensions.  At one point,
Mark Williams Company had to prove in court that they did not use AT&T code.
I have heard that they had to pay AT&T some money, and were told that they
could not sell their product as UNIX.

Rick Kelly	rmk at rmkhome.UUCP	frog!rmkhome!rmk	rmk at frog.UUCP