wanted: UNIX or clone

Bill Heiser bill at unixland.uucp
Fri Apr 26 09:10:55 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr25.143615.12473 at nstar.rn.com> larry at nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) writes:

>ISC and their FFS is so much faster than ESIX - and so many off the
>shelf UNIX applications are available for ISC (Word Perfect and Norton
>for example)..

I've seen this said over and over again by Larry (the FFS issue).  I haven't
seen the same from anyone else.  Say, anyone else out there have this
experience?  The ESIX FFS may well be slower than ISC's -- but it doesn't
"feel" any different to me than the other Unix systems I work on (Harris
Sysv with FFS, SunOS in various flavors).

I guess there's probably more to the issue than "how it feels."

As far as apps go ... the original conversation was about HOME Unix systems.
Maybe I'm mistaken, but I doubt that the majority of people can spend
$500 to $1K on a single software package (other than the OS itself).
When I got WP5.1 for my DOS machine, I paid something like $220 for it.
That's the price range most people expect for software for home machines.

That being said, I agree that ISC has the name advantage over ESIX.
If we're in the business of talking about NAMES, though, SCO has the
unmitigated lead.

--
bill at unixland.uucp                 The Think_Tank BBS & Public Access Unix
...!uunet!think!unixland!bill