Is this a reasonable platform for SCO Unix?

Ray Shwake shwake at raysnec.UUCP
Fri Apr 26 02:58:32 AEST 1991

chas at stax.uchicago.edu (Charles Blair) writes:

>Admittedly, the machine has only 4 MB memory (we'll install more, but
>the dealer said 4 MB was sufficient if we didn't push it). However, I
>wonder whether upgrading to 6 or 8 MB will alter performance
>sufficiently to make a real difference. Right now the unit might keep
>up with an old 4.77MHz PC running MS-DOS, but no more, in terms of how
>it looks to the user (obviously, it's doing a lot more).

	We just installed Open Desktop 1.1 on an AST/386 33, with 8 MB
of RAM, and I've been sorely disappointed with the performance. Compiles
run well, and have yet to install the networking components, much less
the Ingress. DOS runs slowly - and serial connections are pathetic - but
one most notes the lack of response in the ODT-VIEW (windows) component.
Your 16 MHz AST Bravo could only run worse.

	Perhaps those who have run ISC's Architech alternative on similar
(or smaller) platforms could post their impressions.