Can't bring up ethernet on SCO UNIX

James J Dempsey jjd at bbn.com
Thu Apr 4 05:09:28 AEST 1991

We have a Compaq Deskpro 386/33L system with a Western Digital 8003
ethernet card running SCO version 3.2.1c and Open Desktop version
1.0.0b.  I am having trouble getting the network up and running.  I
didn't configure the kernel myself and I'm no System V wizard, so I
suspect the problem is a misconfigured kernel.  However, I can't find
the problem.

The symptom is that whenever you give the /etc/ifconfig command,
you get the following error message:

ifconfig: ioctl (SIOCGFFLAGS): Invalid argument

This happens whether you give the ifconfig command directly at the
shell or if it gets run via the /etc/tcp script.  It even happens when
trying to bring up the loopback interface via "/etc/ifconfig lo0 localhost".

Netstat -i prints out headers and nothing else.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Please reply to me
directly as I don't usually read this newsgroup.

		--Jim Dempsey--
		Bolt, Beranek & Newman
		Cambridge, MA
		jjd at bbn.com