486/25 luggable experience

Michael Squires mikes at iuvax.cs.indiana.edu
Fri Jan 4 06:09:50 AEST 1991

In September I ordered a 486/25 lunchbox VGA luggable from BSI Computers
(see Computer Shopper) which included a 486/25 with 8MB, Future Domain
SCSI controller, 345MB Micropolis drive, and 3 1/2 and 5 1/4" floppies.

First, there appear to be two different VGA plasma display/card combinations;
one uses a standard VGA board with a board that plugs into the feature
adaptor to drive the plasma display; the other uses a proprietary VGA
board.  The latter has much better contrast but only supports 640x480
modes, while the former has inferior contrast but allows the user to
use/upgrade to a 1024x768 board which can drive the plasma display only
in 640x480 but which can drive an external monitor at higher resolutions.

The system has run 24 hours (using ODT 1.0) and has not had heat problems.
A speed problem caused me to return the motherboard to BSI and they have
traced it to improper setup (there was no information on the XCMOS setup
with the board) and they are shipping it back with a battery plus info
on the correct settings.

I have attached an Archive 2150S to the SCSI bus for backups, and this
has worked fine under both DOS and UNIX.

I have no connection with BSI except as a satisfied customer.  The current
price for this configuration is about $5500.
--

Mike Squires (mikes at iuvax.cs.indiana.edu)     812 855 3974 (w) 812 333 6564 (h)
mikes at iuvax.cs.indiana.edu          546 N Park Ridge Rd., Bloomington, IN 47408
Under construction: mikes at sir-alan.cica.indiana.edu