Pcomm / A ProComm lookalike

Chin Fang fangchin at portia.Stanford.EDU
Tue Jan 29 15:43:38 AEST 1991

In article <6248 at spdcc.SPDCC.COM> rbraun at spdcc.COM (Rich Braun) writes:
>A ProComm clone program was posted to comp.sources.unix about 2-1/2 years
>ago and is archived in various places, including uunet.uu.net.
>
>This is a version for SysV and it works somewhat.  Is there a newer version
>or another useful utility for managing outgoing calls and file downloads
>under SysV Unix?  Pcomm, as distributed on uunet, has a few annoying bugs.

The latest and patched version is archived at

cerl.cecer.army.mil (129.229.1.102) where Emmet Gary also archives his
mtools 2.03 , and RCS.

You may would like to try ecu, available from comp.sources.misc, volume16
together with some patches.

I am sure you know kermit/zmodem/xmodem 3.9

In addition, xcmalt by James A. Woods may fit your bill too.  It is available
as a public domain software and it's author actively supports it.

In my opinion, the most complete PD comm software I have seen so far is ECU
mentioned above.  But it is designed specifically for SCO 386 Xenix/Unix
products, so some porting may be necessary.

The may be others available but I am not aware of.

If there are enough interest, I will post xcmalt whose author is a really
nice fellow. Meanwhile I will save bandwidth.

Hope the above helps.

Regards,

Chin Fang
Mechanical Engineering Department