SCO UNIX (3.2.2) 'ls' is broken... what a shame

Sean Eric Fagan sef at kithrup.COM
Thu Jan 3 12:38:38 AEST 1991

In article <41 at esacs.UUCP> pizzi at esacs.UUCP (Riccardo Pizzi) writes:
>We installed recently the new SCO UNIX release, i.e. 3.2.2.
>I read a *lot* of people on the net saying that this new release is
>stable and is not buggy like 3.2.0 and 3.2.1.
>However, my first login on the newly installed system showed a very nasty
>bug in one of the most used commands, 'ls'.
>I wonder how it is possible that such a bug was not caught on the OS test
>phase, and therefore I think maybe it only shows under particular
>circumstances.

Because it's not a bug.  Here is an example showing that it seems to only
happen to you:

kithrup 4> cd /tmp
kithrup 5> lf
AAA              doit.out         post1            sh255895
Ex25602          foobar           post2            sh255896
Rx25602          fooblech         post3            t.c
TTT              gatemail*        post4            test.log
a.out*           mono/            sco*             trunc.c
arb.passwd.203   msg              sdbm1            ucscc
arb.passwd.204   msg2             sdbm2            uucp/
cn/              out.foo          sed.man
doit*            post             sh255894
kithrup 6> lc
AAA             cn              msg             post4           sh255896
Ex25602         doit            msg2            sco             t.c
Rx25602         doit.out        out.foo         sdbm1           test.log
TTT             foobar          post            sdbm2           trunc.c
a.out           fooblech        post1           sed.man         ucscc
arb.passwd.203  gatemail        post2           sh255894        uucp
arb.passwd.204  mono            post3           sh255895

Now, why don't you tell us what country your in, and what your LANG stuff
is set to?  Internationalisation, and all that, don't you know?  Not all
countries or languages sort the way English does.  I am willing to bet that
that's what your "problem" is...  (for example, in my /etc/default/lang, I
have: LANG=english_us.ascii)

>In the ASCII character set, I have always thought the capital (upper case)
>letters should come *before* the lower case letters, but this seems not true
>for SCO...

Who said you were using the ASCII character set?

sef at kithrup.COM  |  I had a bellyache at the time."