System V/386 groff distribution

Denis Fortin fortin at zap.uucp
Mon Jan 14 16:20:50 AEST 1991

In article <6888 at crash.cts.com> jca at pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) writes:
>mhoffos at janus.mtroyal.ab.ca writes:
>>Just as a matter of record, FTP sites are just about *non-existent* in Canada
>
>Then use the BITFTP server bitftp at pucc.princeton.edu.  It'll get it for you,
>uuencode it and break it up into mail managable sized uuencoded chunks.

But keep in mind that doing humongus "bitftp" transfers when you are a
uucp site without a direct link to uunet might be seriously
anti-social!

Specifically, if the return path from princeton to you goes through a
long distance phone call to uunet and then not directly to you
(something like ...!uunet!some-site!...!you), then the poor folks at
"some-site" are going to end up footing the bill for your access to the
bitftp stuff (and are likely to end up cutting the link eventually).

Anyway, a service like "bitftp" is *extremely* useful for ftp-less
sites, so please don't abuse it: if you're going to use it make sure
you're aware who is paying for the transfer and make sure that they
don't mind!  (Remember: just because they don't mind feeding you
megabytes of news (which they *also* use), doesn't mean they won't
mind paying for the transfer of 187238 gigabytes of archives from
alt.sex.pictures that are being transfered via mail for your *own*
personal use!)
--
Denis Fortin, DMR Group Inc, (514) 877-3301 (All of these opinions are my own)
fortin at zap.uucp   uunet!sobeco!zap!fortin   fortin%zap at larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu