Why DEC chose SCO UNIX

Jay Vassos-Libove libove at libove.det.dec.com
Fri Jan 4 04:34:46 AEST 1991

In article <277916E3.2042 at tct.uucp> chip at tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) writes:

I speak only for myself, not for DEC.

   From: chip at tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg)
   Newsgroups: comp.unix.sysv386
   Date: 26 Dec 90 21:32:19 GMT

   >Moreover, in the process, DEC abandoned it's own ULTRIX
   >(DEC proprietary version of UNIX) in order to adopt SCO UNIX.

   SCO UNIX has ready support for *multiprocessing* (SCO MPX).  ULTRIX
   doesn't.  I'll bet that this consideration was probably the most
   important one.  This advantage is utterly unrelated to any security
   issues.  (Also, ULTRIX hasn't yet been ported to the 386; such a port
   would likewise be no small job, though infinitely easier than VMS.)

Actually, Ultrix, as of version 4.0, does support multiprocessing.
The DECSystem 5820, 5830, and 5840 are respectively 2, 3, and 4
processor models of an 18 MIPS RISC system, running Ultrix.

Jay Vassos-Libove                  libove at libove.det.dec.com
Digital Equipment Corporation      decwrl!libove.det.dec.com!libove
Detroit ACT/Ultrix Resource Center Opinions? They're mine, mine, all mine!
Farmington Hills, Michigan         and D.E.C. Can't have 'em!