building Roell's server

Jeff Jennings jennings at boulder.Colorado.EDU
Tue Jan 29 00:24:13 AEST 1991

i am having trouble building Roell's server on ESIX Rev. D. I got the sources
from freebie.umich, installed them, applied the patches in Roell's dist,
ran SetupLinks, applied the ESIX patch from umich, ran imake -Desix -DSYSV386
in mit/config, then ran make Makefile, make Makefiles, Make World.  all this
worked fine.  I get an X386 server that is 6 bytes smaller than the one
distrubuted by umich (the umich server works great, BTW).  I start the server
and it starts up fine, and brings up the first xterm.  from this xterm i
can run standard programs and some other Xclients.  some clients, however,
terminate the server and leave the display in graphics mode.  if it wasn't for
the VT support, i'd have to cold boot the machine.  some of the clients that
cause this behavior are twm and xlogo.  I thought it might be a problem with
the binaries that i built, so i tried the clients in the umich distribution.
they all cause the same behavior on my server, and my clients work fine on
the umich server.

so.... what am i doing wrong?  i am using gcc-1.39 and gdbm-1.4.  if anyone
has any ideas, i'd sure appreciate hearing them.  thanks.

- jeff